Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wheat Crackers


Last fall, my husband and I realized how much we were spending on crackers and how bad some of them (even the "healthy" ones) are for you. Thus, I embarked on a cracker making mission. After a few tries, I got a recipe that we both enjoy.
Ingredients
7/8 cup of whole wheat flour
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1/8 cup of wheat germ and flax seeds, each
A teaspoon of salt
1/6 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
Seasonings of your choice
Directions
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Add olive oil and water. Mix thoroughly. The dough should be on the dry side. You will need to knead the remaining bits from the bottom of the bowl into the dough. (If it's not sticking together, add a little more water and a little more olive oil).
3. Roll the dough put as thinly as possible; the thinner the dough, the crispier the cracker.
4. Cut dough into your desired cracker size and place crackers on a cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until brown.

I store my crackers in a sealed container so they stay fresh throughout the week. Today I added garlic, cayenne pepper, and oregano. I have added rosemary and brushed with olive oil in the past. Another time I added a touch of granola for slightly sweeter crackers. Add whatever spices strike your fancy that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment